Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Blue Angels and Kitchen Utensils

Each spring, my neighboring community plays host to an air show which, among other flying talent, features the Blue Angels.  I really wasn't thinking about it until the noise of jets in the distance scared my youngest while we were doing a history lesson on the back lanai.  I need to do a better job of creating structure and schedule for my kids, but not today apparently.  I yelled "everyone go to the bathroom, grab some bottled water and get in the van. I'll show you what that noise is."  Twenty minutes later, we were hanging out in the back of the mini van in the 'free seats' section of a field across from the airport.


Now these naval jets have the capacity to exceed mach 1.8 (1,382 MPH) legally above 10,000 feet.  In an airshow however, they may not exceed 650 MPH.  I don't know how high or fast our guys were flying, but DANG! Maverick and Iceman rattled my innards and rearranged the mechanisms in my left ear.  According to their website, the pilots begin training in formation at a spread of one mile apart, but mastery comes at flying 6 feet from your wingman. 

I began wondering about the character of the pilots.  What had prepared them to be the 'best of the best?'  To be counted as one of only 242 people to ever fly as a Blue Angel.  In what way had their parents prepared them to be ready?  I image these men have to be people of integrity, determined, self motivated, disciplined and hard working.  They must have experience with the kind of teamwork some of us can only imagine.  I've never been in a situation where the consequence of substandard performance or a slight error could mean death.  It's a heady thing to imagine.

Back at home, I encountered this sight.  This is my 4 year old's version of empying his part of the dishwasher.  Now, it's not likely he'll want to be a Blue Angel.  But this is his season of 'preparation.'  A short period of time for him to build the character attributes necessary to be successful at whatever God calls him to do.  When it comes time for him to leave my immediate sphere of influence, I want him to be as characterologically complete as I was able to pull off.  Apart from loving him, praying for him and imparting my faith to him, I believe this to be my highest parental calling.    To do this well, I have had to work on my own issues of patience and tolerance of repetition.  I have endeavored to balance grace and truth, so as not to provoke my children to wrath in the character refining process.  I try to pay attention to the model I have in how God "parents" me and continues to build my character.  He bought me with the blood of His Son and refines me like silver.  The fire gets hot at times to expose the impurities He desires to rid me of.  But there's always the healing waters.  God stays focused on the goal of conforming me to the image of His Son and He will do whatever is necessary.

This is my youngest child.  I've been doing this kind of discipline for awhile.  I can't slack off.  He'll have to re-organize the kitchen utensils.   

No comments:

Post a Comment