Friday, October 12, 2012

Five Minute Friday: RACE

You'd think SuperMom would have letters on the front of her spandex onsies.

Mine has a number.

Sure, I'm at least 30 lbs overweight.
  (A virtual scrapbook of pregnancy memories.)

I celebrated my 40th birthday, and I don't mean this past year.

Before noon, my body is fueled exclusively by
yogurt and Maxwell House.
But make no mistake, sister.  I'm in a RACE.

I was inducted into this race nearly 13 years ago with the birth of my first child.  "Enjoy it," she said.  "It goes by so fast."

"That's because you're old," I quietly quipped to myself.

She might as well have laced my racing shoes at that very moment.

Now listen, I don't start my day that way.  I mean, the only time I'm slow is when the alarm goes off in the morning.  Even the third or fourth time.  I'm in no hurry then because I've taught the children how to use the coffee maker.

But after that, good gracious Batman, eat my dust.

There's the whole homeschool thing.  And Chores.

I have books to return to the library.  But first I have to drive through the ATM to withdraw a twenty to pay the fees.

Then someone surely has something to do today that requires a load of laundry I had not planned on washing.

There's no bread.  Or milk. 
Or toilet paper. 
 (the only real emergency)

The sole is falling off middle child's shoe and someone left dairy in the car overnight.  We uncovered that little surprise on the way to swim team.


I thought I was going to sit down after dinner, when youngest interrupted to hand me a tiny tooth and a bloody tissue.
No, it wasn't ready, but close enough apparently.

The ToothFairy has been as many as two days late before, but NEVER on a first tooth job.  Those are given priority.

Oh, yes ma'am, I'm in a RACE everyday.  
 A half marathon, at least.

 They grow up so fast.

Today was a chaotic race.  Sometimes they get away from me that way.  But most days, we train slow and steady.
Focused on the goal and training for endurance.


And heck, even this post is late.  But that's kinda how I roll.
It's my first time and I'm not even sure how to 'linky'

Jen

Twitter:  HSinHighHeels
Facebook:  Homeschooing in High Heels

What's Five Minute Friday?
We write for five minutes flat. All on the same prompt that I post here at 1 minute past midnight EST ever Friday. And we connect on Twitter with the hashtag #FiveMinuteFriday

A challenge by Lisa Jo Baker at Tales of a Gypsy Mama.
You may find more info here http://lisajobaker.com/five-minute-friday/

2 comments: